Way out West (10–24) 15+/12+
Way out West – a murder mystery party game with a Western setting for 10 to 24 guests.
Way out West – a murder mystery party game with a Western setting for 10 to 24 guests
"We played Way out West on New Year's Eve and really
enjoyed it a lot. I have flagged your website in my favorites so we can
easily access you next year if not before. Thanks for all of your hard work
on this game."
Jackie Vick, Minnesota, United States
Recommended for ages 15+ ( 12+ with the kid-friendly version)
Written by Tracy Bose
Way out West is a dinner party murder mystery game for 10 to 24 guests and a host – download the free introductory pdf file.
Kids' version – this game includes a FREE special version written for kids and younger teens.
Join us in a thrilling evening of scheming, intrigue and skulduggery. You will be in the middle of the action and it will be up to you to wheel and deal with the other guests. Can you achieve your goals, keep your secrets hidden and survive Way out West? It's up to you.
Way out West
It is the spring of 1884. America's west coast is slowly being populated with small towns full of settlers, coming to prospect for precious metals, set up ranches and run dubious saloons. Now the railway is coming! Cactus Gulch is one such small town. Founded 20 years ago, tonight it has a festive air as the townsfolk get set to start their 20th anniversary celebrations. Plus, the railway is coming! However, all is not running smoothly. Land disputes, disreputable card games, strange folk from out of town and hostile Indians are all adding to a tense atmosphere…
Way out West lasts for about four hours and is suited to an evening. It is often played over a meal – a finger buffet if possible to allow guests to circulate and talk in private.
"Thanks for a great party – definitely recommend
Way out West to friends!"
Mel Woods, London, United Kingdom
The free introductory pdf file contains an introduction to the game, a cast list of all the characters, and a copy of the Cactus Gulch Gazette – plus details of how to buy the game.
These are the characters in Way out West:
- Able Blane – The town's reliable sheriff
- Blaise Sadler – Aging saloon owner
- Christy Martin – Storekeeper from out of town
- Clem Parham – City slicker, Mid West Rail rep
- Dan Fairweather – Slow and honest deputy sheriff
- Doc Faraday – Notorious gambler
- Elijah Entwhistle – Travelling preacher
- John Paulson – Town's much-revered judge
- Kalamata Kate – Young bar waitress
- Lucy Calhoun – Zeke's daughter, young woman, complete tomboy
- Mel Easton – City slicker, South West Rail rep
- Runs Like a Deer – Indian woman
- Slick O'Hare – Scruffy ranch hand for hire
- Three Feathers – Revered Indian shaman
And here are the extra characters that you get if you purchase Way out West Expanded:
- Etta Johnson – Local schoolmarm and newspaper gossip
- Frederick Lloyd – Wealthy English mining investor
- Marco the Mesmerizing – Travelling stage magician with a secret agenda
- Maxwell Jebediah Adams – Town drunkard and ne'er-do-well
- Minnie Mae Adams – Former Sunday School teacher with hidden depths
- Ol' Barr – Reclusive fur trapper and friend to the Indians
- Robert Barnaby – Shy young legal clerk
- Ruby Sapphire – Flame-haired singer, notorious beauty
- Soon Li – Chinese migrant worker, in a heap of trouble
- Widder James – Grande Dame of the ladies in Cactus Gulch
How Freeform Games Murder Mysteries Work
Way out West is unlike many murder mystery games. Although the game starts with a murder, most of the characters have more important things to do than to investigate it. And the killing may not be over – it is unlikely that everyone will survive the remainder of the evening!
Way out West is played just like a murder mystery game. You may be trying to solve the murder, but primarily you are (initially at least) concentrating on your own goals and objectives. Unlike most boxed murder mystery games, Way out West lets you decide how to achieve your goals and thwart your enemies.
"We received your game, Way Out West, and had our party
last weekend. It was a huge success. Everyone went all out on their costumes
and the game flowed smoothly. Thanks for your great customer service!"
Lisa and Anthony Perez, Oregon, United States
On the evening of the game the guests are met by the organizer, the Bartender of the Silver Dollar Saloon. They then receive their detailed backgrounds - including dark secrets, objectives and money. When everyone has arrived the celebrating starts, but it is immediately disrupted by a shocking announcement. The real fun then begins as everyone questions, bribes and blackmails each other. As the evening progresses they may even try to murder one another! Along the way they may solve some of Way out West's mysteries. Where is the map to the recently discovered silver lode? Who owns the land that the railways are desperate to get hold of? Why are the Indians threatening to go on the warpath? Why is a pack of cards so important? Why is the preacher so sinister? Finally, the game concludes and everyone finds out how they did, and what secrets everyone else was concealing.
Sometimes you have too many guests and you need more characters. So we've written a free extra character for each of our games that you can add in, and some of our customers have created their own characters for their parties and are kindly willing to share them.
'Ginger' Roberts – roving reporter (Any)
(by Freeform Games)
Alex Gables – freelance reporter (Any)
(by J. Yu)
Jay Sidwell – stable hand (Any)
(by Rosie Eaton)
- 'Ginger' Roberts – roving reporter (Any)
Please note that we haven't always tested these – and they may not tie in exactly with our games.